Friday, February 15, 2008

Ironic or Just Plain Mean?

So the other night I’m watching Law & Order, which by the way, after 18 seasons (yes, 18!!!) is still one of the best shows on television, and there’s a commercial for Biggest Loser auditions. Unfortunately (well…actually, fortunately) I’m nowhere near qualified for the show – I don’t chew Wrigley’s Extra gum, eat instant oatmeal or use Brita water filters. And I don’t have a houseful of kids to miss tearfully, I’d love the hard-as-hell workouts (so no whining) and I don’t like conflict. Plus the 15 pounds I have to lose wouldn’t be that dramatic or exciting to the viewing audience. Essentially, I’m not good weight loss reality TV (or any reality TV for that matter).

Anyway, the fact that they are searching for the next contestants in my city isn’t that that strange – I live in one of the “fattest cities” in America (as determined by at least one study). What I do find odd, very odd in fact, is that most auditions for television shows are held at a local sports stadium or a hotel. This audition, however, is being held at (name eradicated) Bar & Grill. Yes, the Biggest Loser is seeking contestants at a restaurant. Who in the hell thought this was a good idea? Aside from the snide comments that without a doubt a will be made by those in the higher-metabolism set, this show is a phenomenon. You know there will be tons (pun intended) of people coming out for their shot at free personal trainers, monitored weight loss and unlimited use of the 24 Hour Fitness-sponsored gym equipment. A smallish bar/restaurant probably isn't the best location for all the people who are thinking this show is their ticket out of Lane Bryant-town.

But I guess it could be worse. At least they aren't holding tryouts at a feeding trough like Golden Corral.


No comments:

Stealing Content Sucks!

© Copyright 2008, It Was Funny In My Head
All Rights Reserved.
itwasfunnyinmyhead at yahoo dot com