Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Can't you see we're out for blood...

Don't tell SuperHusband, but I'm in love with someone else. He's 17 years old, his name is Edward Cullen and he's a vampire.

Has anyone else read any of the Twilight series?

I was given the first two books (along with an outstanding recommendation) from a friend at work. I admit I was skeptical. I hadn't read any YA fiction in years....probably since an adolescent lit class in college (where I painfully trudged through A Wrinkle in Time). And I am not a big fan of the whole zombie/werewolf/vampire genre. But I was out of town, had just finished RollerGirl - Totally True Tales from the Track (Buy it! Trust me.) and was in need of some reading material. Luckily, I'd thrown Twilight in my bag, just in case.

WOW. Am I glad I did!

I was hooked after the first few pages and didn't put it down until I finished it (well, except to eat and pee. OK. I lied - I took it to the bathroom with me.). Don't get me wrong...it's no Kierkegaard (which is something smart people who don't watch Rock of Love read...from what I hear), but it's light, fun, amazingly entertaining and surprisingly, uh...stimulating (even though there's nothing more than some light kissing).

I'm on the second book now and have devised a perfect strategy for reading it. Since I can't drop everything and read non-stop during the week, I'm letting myself read it for 30 minutes each night on the condition that I ride the stationary bike while I do it. That's right...no exercise, no Edward. So far it's working. You can obviously see why I'm attracted to Edward - he'll never age, he's hot, he loves the nightlife (and presumably he loves to boogie) AND he's helping me lose weight.

What more could a girl want?

Today's Title Selection: Red Hot - Motley Crue

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Dude! I downloaded the sample chapter of this to my Kindle on a whim and got sucked in and bought the full copy... I'm about 1/2 way through but haven't read since I got back from Cali. Apparently I only read on business trips. Lucky for me, I'm headed back out twice in the next few weeks so I'll finish 'er up. This is a lot of info to post on a blog comment, I realize. I just got excited when you mentioned a book I'm actually reading. Wee!

ro said...

Woo-hooo! I'm glad I'm not the only person over 30 reading this! Let me know what you think after you finish it!

ATenorio said...

Thank you Ro, I need a good book to read that is not all mommy-fied!

ATenorio said...

I also have to tell you that at first glance I thought the title of this post was "Cant you see we're out OF blood..." I was thinking, what MC song has that lyric?

Margaret Speed said...

YA lit is fun. My favorite ones to read as an adult are the Weetzie Bat series :)

Melisa S. said...

Love reading YA. Sadly this series is one of the ones I hate. Think about who it is geared towards and the actions of the heroine...can she be called that? I figured she'd be more like Buffy, but instead was more like Shaggy from Scooby-doo.

But I stuck it out and read all the books and have the library holding the final installment, which has been leaked and spoiled all over the internet and fans are calling for the author's blood in anger of how she has chosen to end things. For me it is vindication for not liking the series to begin with.

And trust me almost ALL of my friends love, love, LOVE the series and I have been the oddball.

Mel_Joulwan said...

Hey! Thanks for the shout-out about my book Rollergirl. You clearly have excellent taste, so now I'm thinking I need to read Twilight It's not officially on my must-read list. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

my husband thinks it's hysterical that I'm reading a "teen" book. whatever, loser, my heart belongs to Edward now!
I'm about to start the 3rd one and I've got the 4th one on it's way to me.

It's All About ME said...

hey - i have not read this book but my son has and he absolutely LOVES this book - it is a series, right? i heard they are making it into a movie.

layn said...

Oh my gosh I love the series! I saw the movie 9 times in the theater! Go team edward! Can't wait for the new moon movie to come out in november! Incredibly addicting! A most read!

Tinsleigh O'Connor said...

I saw the new moon premiere at midnight on Thursday and looooved it! And this Wednesday I'm seeing it 4 the third time! I already can't wait for eclipse 2 come out June 30, 2010!!! Team Edward! New moon was an INCREDIBLE movie so if u haven't seen it then u have to go because it is SO worth it!

Stealing Content Sucks!

© Copyright 2008, It Was Funny In My Head
All Rights Reserved.
itwasfunnyinmyhead at yahoo dot com