Wednesday, May 14, 2008

All my friends are dead...

Is it just me, or do there seem to be a disproportionate number of African American women medical examiners on television? Off the top of my head, you have:
  1. CSI: Miami: Dr. Alexx Woods
  2. Women's Murder Club (possibly the lamest name of a book/television series ever, by the way): Dr. Claire Washburn
  3. Law & Order: SVU: Dr. Melinda Warner
  4. Bones: Dr. Camille Saroyan
  5. Crossing Jordan: Dr. Elaine Duchamps
I know there must be more, but these come to mind immediately.

So the question is...Is this really representative of the profession? Or is it just an easy way to add an African American women to the cast without "sacrificing" a more substantial part to her? I hope the former is the case, but if it were the latter I wouldn't be surprised. Diversity in television has come a long way...but there's still a lot of headway to be made.

I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. Maybe I just watch too much t.v.

No comments:

Stealing Content Sucks!

© Copyright 2008, It Was Funny In My Head
All Rights Reserved.
itwasfunnyinmyhead at yahoo dot com