Tuesday, May 13, 2008

If the South would've won we'd of had it made...

I love being a southern girl. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I must confess that I wasn't born here. SuperHusband and I both came into this world via California (odd coincidence, huh?), but have lived in the great state of Texas since before we started school. As much as I hate the fact that I am not a native, I like to think it's that west-coast sensibility that has kept me away from regrettably southern things like NASCAR, a penchant for decorating with confederate flags, pick-up trucks with Calvin peeing on (insert sports team, country, rival school or pretty much any other word here), using the phrase "Git R Done" and (worst of all) republicanism.

But even though there might be a few things about living here that aren't so great, they are far outweighed by the kick ass reasons it's great to be southern. Here are a few of my favorites:

  1. Accents. We all talk really cute down here. (I would make a "y'all" reference, but unfortunately Britney Spears kind of ruined it for us.)
  2. Food. Chicken friend steak with cream gravy, fried potatoes, BBQ (beef...NOT pork), grits, biscuits and gravy, fried okra, Tex-Mex...you get the idea.
  3. Football. Fall weekends mean one thing - Football. We don't care if it's high school, college or professional - southerners love it all.
  4. Dallas. The television show is still one of my favorites (I recently re-watched the series). Yes, it was over the top, but so are most of us (usually in a good way).
  5. Moonshine. Sure, it tastes like somebody just set your mouth on fire, but try to find a New Yorker whose had raspberry moonshine from a mason jar. I dare you.
  6. Whataburger. I know I already mentioned food, but this merits it's own special recognition.
  7. Nature. From mountains to lakes to deserts rivers to beaches...we've got it all. It just might take you a day or two to get there.
  8. Weather. It's true that we don't get a lot of seasons (2 on average in Texas), but we don't have to go to work when there's even a chance of ice or snow. And the summers really aren't THAT bad.
  9. Tons of stuff to do. From Mardi Gras in New Orleans to ChiggerFest in Cooper, Texas...we know how to have fun (and look for any excuse to do so).
  10. People. Most of us are super nice. We even wave to each other when we're driving down the road. Usually with the whole hand...not just one finger.

No comments:

Stealing Content Sucks!

© Copyright 2008, It Was Funny In My Head
All Rights Reserved.
itwasfunnyinmyhead at yahoo dot com